Updated: July 4th, 2024

Spousal Sponsorship Visa

The spousal sponsorship visa allows a Canadian citizen or permanent resident to bring their spouse, common-law partner, or conjugal partner into the country and support them in receiving their permanent residence status.

First and foremost, it is essential for clients interested in family reunification to understand the differences between the three types of partners mentioned above:

  • Spouse: The married partner of the Canadian citizen or permanent resident sponsoring this visa.
  • Common-Law Partner: The partner of the sponsor who has been living together in a conjugal relationship for at least one year.
  • Conjugal Partner: The partner of the sponsor who has been in a committed relationship for at least one year but has not lived with the sponsor or married them due to extenuating circumstances.

Family Class (Outland) vs. In Canada Sponsorship Class

When applying for a sponsorship visa, there are two pathways:

Family Class (Outbound)

You can apply using this sponsorship class if:

  • Your partner lives outside of Canada.
  • Your partner lives with you (their sponsor) in Canada but does not plan on staying in the country for the duration of the visa process.

In Canada Sponsorship Class

You can sponsor your partner with this pathway if:

  • Your partner lives with you in Canada.
  • You hold a valid immigration status in Canada.
  • You would like to request an open work permit during your process.

Your pathway under this sponsorship will change depending on your and your partner’s living situation. To ensure success, submit the relevant paperwork and documents. If you are uncertain about how to approach this visa type, you can consult with our highly trained immigration team.


What is the pool?
To be included in the pool you must qualify for one of the specific immigration programs listed under Express Entry. You must also score a minimum of 67 points on your immigration profile. Points are awarded for educational and professional qualifications, work experience, age, language ability, and more. The Canadian government selects the most suitable candidates from the pool and issues them with an official invitation (known as ITA) to become Canadian residents.
How many points do I need to get selected?
The Express Entry system uses what it called the Comprehensive Ranking System, a formula that takes into account your education, skills and experience, those of your husband/wife or partner, and whether you have a specific job offer. These factors go to build up your score out of a possible maximum of 1200. As mentioned, the higher the points you score, the greater the possibility to be selected from the pool.
How long does it take to move to Canada?
The idea of starting a new life in Canada is very exciting. But please be prepared that getting selected for an immigration program takes time. This is why the Express Entry program is extremely popular - the Canadian government aims to select candidates within 6 months. Time may significantly vary between immigration programs; the individual process of each program, government policies, the complexity of your case, and more, may affect the time it would take you to move to Canada.
Are there any goverment fees?
Like many other countries worldwide the Canadian government charges fees for the processing of immigration entries. Depending on the specific program you entered, the size and age of your family, and more – you may need a few hundred to several thousand Canadian dollars. Please note that all government fees are non-refundable. This is one of many reasons you should prepare well for your immigration process, gain as much knowledge as you can, and if possible, seek help from professionals in this field.

Learn more about Spousal Sponsorship Visa

Leave us your info on the next page, and one of our representatives will contact you as soon as possible. Contact Us