A report from WES, which stands for World Education Services, can open the door to prestigious universities across Canada, from the far reaches of British Colombia to Toronto, where you get to enjoy all four seasons.
In addition, it’s a mandatory requirement for Express Entry applicants (work visas); The WES ECA report compares your educational credentials with their Canadian equivalent.
But how can you go about this? WES is North America’s trusted leader in credential evaluation services, and we’re going to explain how it works! Here’s a guide on how to send transcripts to WES for verification.
Table of Contents
How Do You Commission WES to Check Your Transcripts?
In short, these are the steps you will need to take:
- Figure out what kind of evaluation you need
- Submit your transcripts to WES
Figure Out What Kind of Evaluation You Need
To save time, it is crucial to know the type of evaluation you need as WES offers these 3 reports for students from across the globe:
- Freshman Admissions
- Graduate Admissions
- Transfer Admissions
Your college or university can also tell you whether it’s possible to submit your certificates electronically.
It’s wise for first-year international students to get a document-by-document examination done. This ensures WES describes each of your transcripts separately, including:
- The name of the credential
- The entry requirements
- The duration of the program
- The equivalent in terms of American education standards
Aside from your report, WES will issue a digital badge you can use on LinkedIn and other social media platforms.
According to WES, it makes sense for graduates to get a course-by-course evaluation. WES will identify your credential and indicate:
- The name of the certificate
- The entry requirements
- The duration of the program
- A list of all post-secondary courses you have completed
- Each course gets a US semester credit and grade equivalent
- An American grade point average (GPA) on a scale of 4.0
- A designation of each undergraduate course’s level (lower or upper)
For transfer admission students, WES recommends a course-by-course evaluation.
Submit Your Transcripts to WES
Your academic institution will have to submit your documents to WES for review. While most universities have their own web portals, some bank on third-party providers. Either way, they can provide you with a list of documents they need. These factors determine what kind of documents they want from you:
- Your native country
- Your education status (i.e., whether you have completed your studies or not)
- The education type (e.g., secondary or post-secondary education)
- What kind of institution you attended
- The qualification type (i.e., certificate, degree, diploma, and the like)
You have 3 options to submit your transcripts to WES:
- Online submission
- Direct submission
- Submission via email
As you might have guessed, online submission is the quickest way.
Due to its efficiency, more than 7,500 universities worldwide use the WES online system to submit transcripts. While you can send documents fast, you will have to create an account first.
All you have to do when you are logged in is choose WES as your recipient. WES will then send you a URL to access your transcripts and any papers you want them to check.
Direct submission of your documents will take a little longer than the online option, but your institution can use either of these two methods via a verified channel that is both efficient and safe:
- Secure File Transfer Protocol (SFTP)
- Application Programming Interface (API)
Submission via Email
While most universities prefer direct or online submissions to submissions via email, WES does include an email option because not all institutions are equipped to choose the former. This is what universities have to comply with when submitting transcripts via email:
- It must be possible for WES to check the sender’s email on the university’s website
- The responsible departments for sending the documents are: the Exams, Awards, and Graduation Department; the Controller of Examinations; the Office of Academic Records; the Office of the Registrar; and the Department of Student Services
- Emails must pass strict anti-spoofing authenticity and security checks
- Universities have to attach the documents as a PDF or other immutable format
What Should You Keep in Mind When You Submit Your Transcripts?
Before you begin the process, double-check the list of required documents. Please do write down your WES Reference Number and use it whenever you can. Follow the submission guidelines meticulously to prevent any delays.
Remember that you should not create a PIN or expiry date for your documents, or else WES may not be able to access them. Keep your WES login data confidential, and do not send transcripts from your personal email address because WES only accepts submissions from approved sources.
Your Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) will be valid for up to five years once you receive it. You can use it to study in Canada and apply for permanent residency as well.
How Can UIS Canada Help You Obtain WES?
Our immigration team has firsthand experience in the immigration process. They can walk you through every step of the student or work application process. In addition, our team knows how to increase your chances of getting your visa approved or becoming a permanent Canadian resident.
After assessing your profile, we will recommend the best course of action for your case and compile and process your paperwork.
Are you ready to take the easy route? Then let our professionals show you how and get in touch by filling in the contact form here. You can also call us using the toll-free number +1 888 995 2030 worldwide or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.